Using AWS Lambda with Amazon CloudWatch and SNS to Implement a Slack Chat Bot
SPL-115 Version 2.0.3
© 2018 Amazon Web Services, Inc. and its affiliates. All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced or redistributed, in whole or in part, without prior written permission from Amazon Web Services, Inc. Commercial copying, lending, or selling is prohibited.
Errors or corrections? Email us at email@example.com.
Other questions? Contact us at https://aws.amazon.com/contact-us/aws-training/
In this lab you will build a chat bot for Slack, using a Lambda blueprint. Chat bots have the ability to interact with teams and users, respond to commands, and post notifications, giving all conversation participants visibility into team activities. You will build a bot that posts to your Slack channel when it receives CloudWatch alarms.
By the end of this lab, you will be able to:
- Create a Slack chat bot using a Lambda blueprint
- Configure the bot with a Slack webhook to post messages to a Slack channel
- Encrypt the URL of the webhook and base-64 encode it
- Create an IAM role with permission to decrypt the key
Technical knowledge prerequisites
To successfully complete this lab, you should be familiar with AWS Lambda and Amazon CloudWatch.Familiarity with Slack is helpful, though not required.
Notice the lab properties below the lab title:
- setup - The estimated time to set up the lab environment
- access - The time the lab will run before automatically shutting down
- completion - The estimated time the lab should take to complete
- At the top of your screen, launch your lab by clicking
If you are prompted for a token, use the one distributed to you (or credits you have purchased).
A status bar shows the progress of the lab environment creation process. The AWS Management Console is accessible during lab resource creation, but your AWS resources may not be fully available until the process is complete.
- Open your lab by clicking
This will automatically log you into the AWS Management Console.
Please do not change the Region unless instructed.
Common login errors
Error : Federated login credentials
If you see this message:
- Close the browser tab to return to your initial lab window
- Wait a few seconds
- Click again
You should now be able to access the AWS Management Console.
Error: You must first log out
If you see the message, You must first log out before logging into a different AWS account:
- Click click here
- Close your browser tab to return to your initial Qwiklabs window
- Click again
Join Qwiklabs to read the rest of this lab...and more!
- Get temporary access to the Amazon Web Services Console.
- Over 200 labs from beginner to advanced levels.
- Bite-sized so you can learn at your own pace.